Seniors Brett Von Ruden and Hayden Krein both concluded their Spartan careers with victories Saturday afternoon. Von Ruden captured fifth place while Krein brought home third. The victories cap two of the most storied careers in Spartan wrestling history. Both four-time state qualifiers, Krein stands out among that select group by being the only one to medal all four years. He never lost a placement match and finished third as a freshman, first as a sophomore and third as a junior and senior. Krein finishes his career 163-21 while Von Ruden finishes 131-40.
Von Ruden opened up the action today with a tight 3-2 loss to Rhinelander’s Jacob DeMeyer (47-2). It was the second time that DeMeyer had defeated Von Ruden by a 3-2 score. DeMeyer also defeated Von Ruden 3-2 in the finals of the Battle on the Bay. However, Brett bounced back in a big way with a pin in 2:47 over Burlington’s Jake Skrundz in the fifth place match.
At 170 pounds, Hayden Krein (43-7) held off the upper body strength and attempted throws by Kenosha Bradford/Reuther’s Jake Deates on his way to a 6-3 victory. In the third place match, Krein dominated Marshfield’s Bentley Schwanebeck-Ostermann (41-5) via a pin in 2:06.
It was a strong tournament for the Spartans. Krein gave the eventual state champion Parker Keckeisen of Nicolet his closest match of the tournament. Krein’s 10-4 loss stands out compared to Kalyn Jahn’s 23-8 loss in the finals. Keckeisen compiled two technical falls, a second period pin and a 10-4 victory on his way to a state title.
Von Ruden’s overtime loss in the quarterfinals while battling the flu to De Pere’s Max Bruss was notable because Bruss advanced to the finals and pushed eventual state champion Drew Scharenbrock of Sun Prairie (51-0) in an 8-6 loss.
Congrats to both Brett and Hayden on outstanding Spartan wrestling careers. Below is the full summary of how the two did at the 2018 state tournament.
- Champ. Round 1 – Brett Von Ruden (Sparta) 43-5 won by decision over Nolan Hertel (Marshfield) 29-7 (Dec 8-6)
- Quarterfinal – Max Bruss (De Pere) 43-5 won in sudden victory – 1 over Brett Von Ruden (Sparta) 43-5 (SV-1 7-5)
- Cons. Round 1 – Brett Von Ruden (Sparta) 43-5 won by decision over Connor Collins (Oshkosh West) 36-11 (Dec 9-3)
- Cons. Round 2 – Brett Von Ruden (Sparta) 43-5 won by decision over Jake Schulte (Mukwonago) 31-19 (Dec 10-4)
- Cons. Semi – Jacob DeMeyer (Rhinelander) 47-2 won by decision over Brett Von Ruden (Sparta) 43-5 (Dec 3-2)
- 5th Place Match – Brett Von Ruden (Sparta) 43-5 won by fall over Jake Skrundz (Burlington) 37-7 (Fall 2:47)
- Champ. Round 1 – Hayden Krein (Sparta) 43-7 won by fall over Sam Tourtilott (Shawano Com.) 21-16 (Fall 1:30)
- Quarterfinal – Hayden Krein (Sparta) 43-7 won by major decision over Nolan Paar (Oak Creek) 45-4 (MD 10-2)
- Semifinal – Parker Keckeisen (Nicolet) 31-0 won by decision over Hayden Krein (Sparta) 43-7 (Dec 10-4)
- Cons. Semi – Hayden Krein (Sparta) 43-7 won by decision over Jake Deates (Kenosha Bradford/Reuther) 18-4 (Dec 6-3)
- 3rd Place Match – Hayden Krein (Sparta) 43-7 won by fall over Bentley Schwanebeck-Ostermann (Marshfield) 41-5 (Fall 2:06)